What is a Quiz?
A quiz is a form of game or mind sport in which the players (as individuals or in teams) attempt to answer questions correctly. In some countries, a quiz is also a brief assessment used in education and similar fields to measure growth in knowledge, abilities, and/or skills.
Quizzes are usually scored in points and many quizzes are designed to determine a winner from a group of participants – usually the participant with the highest score.
Aside from the important benefit of improving / expanding one’s breadth of knowledge, either general or in specific areas, the style of quizzes offered are designed to be fun to participate in, and aim to provoke discussion and healthy debate amongst participants.
Quizzes can be tailored to any particular audience and can be used in Schools and Universities to aid in language development and in particular subject areas of study.
Some of the obvious benefits of participating are:
- Expanding the participants breadth of knowledge
- Aiding in English / Spanish language development (all questions available in English and Spanish)
- Aiding in the team building process
- Being fun to participate in but with a competitive element
- Provoking discussion and healthy debate amongst participating players / teams
- Aiding to relieve the tension of the daily work routine
- Fomenting group harmony (whether in organisations, schools, or just a group of friends)
- Making new friends, from different cultures at times
Examples of popularly known competition quizzes are:
- Pub quizzes
- Music for the Masses (quiz night)
- University Challenge (televised)
- Schools’ Challenge
- College Bowl
- Individual Quiz Tournaments
- World Quizzing Championships
- Who Wants to be a Millionaire
- The Weakest Link
Barcelona Quiz has developed a vast database of questions, from a wide list of categories, including: Ancient History & Mythology, Animals Art & Literature Business/Company, Country specific, Entertainment (Films, TV, etc.), Food & drink, General Knowledge, Geography History Music Politics, Science & Technology, Sports and many more.